Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Desire to be Special


I am subscribed to Minute Meditations from the American Catholic Org. If you're one of those people who want to read snippets of inspirational words, you'd probably want to sign up to the Minute Meditations newsletter. My minute meditation for today is...

The Desire to be Special

Everybody thinks they want to be special, but when someone finds out how special he or she really is, often he or she quickly discovers a great desire to be like everybody else.

— from Already There

I thought about this today and found out that it's really true. We always want to stand out in a crowd hence we dress differently or act differently or look differently but then when people start talking about how different we are, we succumbed and try to hide behind the shadows of other people out there. Hmm... It's actually unexplainable. Maybe we just want to be special to one person or to a few people but we don't really want A WHOLE LOT of people to take notice of us.

Just like me. I really want to be different. I know I have my own sense of fashion. Different way of thinking but there are times when I just don't really do it. Why? Probably because I'm afraid that people would think I'm weird or that I'm a bit off. I just want to be status quo. Just floating and going with the flow. I actually admire those people who are brave enough to stand up for what they want and what they believe in. They don't really care what other people will say. They're just happy that they are themselves.

But who are we really? Do we really know ourselves? Do we really know what we are all about? Take for instance my friend Marie. I actually do admire her. She's taking the plunge and is giving up everything in her "comfort zone" right now and will be pursuing something that she really wants to do. Yes, she's scared but at least she's brave enough to step out of what is comfortable for her. I envy her and the people who can actually do this. But seriously now, I do not know what I want. :S

No comments:

Post a Comment